About one third of your life are spent sleeping. And most of sleeping time you will sleep in your bedroom, on your comfortable bed with comfy mattress, soft blanket and nice pillow.
A bamboo cooling pillow is a natural organic product made from bamboo fabric, filled by cooling material such as memory foam infused with cooling gel. The cooling effect can help you sleep better and help with neck and back pain. Often the thickness is adjustable to find the perfect position.
If you are looking for restful and peaceful sleep, bamboo cooling pillow can be your best option. To help you have more useful details about this product, we have put together this post of the material which bamboo pillow made from, benefits of owning one and caring tips for your bamboo cooling pillow.
What Is A Bamboo Cooling Pillow?
A bamboo cooling pillow you buy in a shop or online usually consists of 3 mains parts: The outer case, the inner fabric cover and the filling. The outer pillowcase can be replaced by something that looks or feels better if you want/need that. To retain all the benefits you should replace it with another bamboo pillowcase. The two parts that are the most important to a bamboo cooling pillow are the filling and the outer pillowcase. The inner cover doesn’t make a big difference.
Let’s look at those two parts and what is important to know.
The pillowcase is made from bamboo. You may be concerned if wood from bamboo can be used to manufacture fabric. But bamboo is actually grass and when it turns to fabric, it becomes one of the softest materials. It doesn’t contain many chemicals like you can find in cotton or other common bedding stuff. That is the reason why many people use products made from bamboo fabric for infants.
Not all bamboo fabric is made in the same way, the processes are different. You will see a variety of descriptions on a product’s label. The information below will help you understand what is what and choose the right pillow case:
- Viscose Rayon: The most popular material type of bamboo pillowcase, soft and silky and cheaper than silk. It is more moisture absorbent than cotton, breathable and drapes well, plus it doesn’t hold static electricity.
- Modal: It is commonly used to make lingerie and under clothes since it has a high wet strength and very soft.
- Lyocell/ Oeko-Tex: Beside the advantages of Viscose Rayon, this pillowcase can absorb moisture and then release it into the air. That means your pillowcase will be cool in the summer and warm in the winter. In the other hand, it can also prevent the growth of bacteria and it is hypoallergenic.
- Mechanically-Produced: This is the most friendly environment process, no chemicals are added. The textile is strong and long lasting but this product is quite expensive and rare.
The filling material is shredded memory foam which is infused with a cooling gel. The foam is made out of a polymer known as polyurethane. It is commonly used in sofa’s, mattresses, car seats or pillows as it has a plush feel and providing pressure relief for head, neck and shoulders. And, as the name suggests, it keeps it shape.
The quality of a bamboo cooling pillow will be affected by 2 main parts and the quality can vary greatly depending on the brand. Some products can’t provide proper support, can’t bounce back and become flat because of the cheap quality of memory foam so be sure to do an in-depth review between different brands to find your best option. There is one tip for choosing shredded memory foam: U.S companies are generally higher rated for this material.
The combination of cooling memory foam and the bamboo casing gives it a few unique benefits. It is becoming more and more popular in the bedrooms of many people because of reasons which are mentioned below. Keep reading and you will know why you should own one or many bamboo cooling pillows.
Benefits of Owning Bamboo Cooling Pillow
Compare with other kinds of pillow, this products is ideal choice for a night of blissful sleep and people who love eco-friendly things because of these facts:
Naturally Organic Material
Having sleep on a naturally organic pillow cover can help you avoid chemicals, pesticides and other harmful ingredients. It supports you to be comfortable and isn’t harmful to your long-term health.
As mentioned above, some types of bamboo fabric can absorb water unlike polyester and some other casing materials. Bamboo whicks away the moisture and therefore it works like a temperature regulator. Bamboo fabric also feels cooler to the touch than polyester but also cotton.
In additional, the shredded memory foam is infused in cooling gel can help draw out heat and keep you at a comfortable temperature throughout the night. The ideal room temperature for sleep is 18.3 degrees celcius/65f. If you live in a hot climate, it’s likely your room is much warmer than that. By lowering your body temperature it’s possible to get a better night’s sleep.
Shredded memory foam without cooling gel is available if you feel that the bamboo cover is helpful enough.
Fit for All Sleeping Positions
You can adjust the thickness of the pillow by adding or removing memory foam until it suits your sleep position. This pillow can be used for therapeutic support. It supports your neck, head, shoulder and even your back. Perfect for side, back, stomach and pregnant sleepers.
Another way to get a better night’s sleep is to improve the atmosphere in your bedroom. Make it look nice and relaxing by adding some decorative lighting. Some string lights are a really effective and yet cheap way to accomplish this. Click here to find out more.
Bamboo fabric is less likely to cause an allergic reaction than other fabrics. It contains less chemicals, naturally deters dust mites and other common allergens, while also being soft and friendly to the skin.
Bamboo can be grown, cut, harvested then grown again quickly like grass. Some species can grow up to 36″ in 24 hours so harvesting it doesn’t cause any deforestation. It contains a natural antimicrobial substance called “bamboo-kun” so it doesn’t require pesticides. It also means your bamboo fabric doesn’t include chemical substance.
With these benefits, everyone would love to have their bamboo cooling pillow to last for a long time. Even though your bamboo cooling pillow are made from high grade of materials (if you picked the right one), follow some of the tips below to help it last longer.
Caring Tips for Bamboo Cooling Pillow
Depending on type and brand of bamboo cooling pillow you will buy, there will be variety of caring and washing instructions you have to follow. To help you on your journey to better sleep, here are some common tips which are useful for most of bamboo pillows. But the most important thing is always reading the label and instruction carefully to err on the right side.
- Check if the pillow parts are machine washable or should be hand washed to avoid damage by using a washing machine.
- Wash your pillow case frequently as it contacts to your face. Wash bamboo fabric in cold or warm water with a gentle detergent, free of bleach and dry it in clothes dryer on the cool setting.
- The inner cover should be washed too although it’s not necessary as often as the outer case.
- Do not wash the shredded memory foamy portion in washing machine. It will cause the foam to deteriorate. Better to wash them by hand in lukewarm water with mild detergent. Leave the foam in a well-ventilated area to dry out for few hours before placing them in the cover.
- Baking Soda can be used to eliminate odors. Remove the outer cover from your pillow, sprinkle baking soda over the pillow (2 tablespoons or 28.8 grams is enough for normal size). Leave baking soda on pillow for 30 minutes or longer if your pillow has very bad smell. Then use vacuum to remove all baking soda. Run your hand across the pillow. If it still feels grainy, vacuum it again. Doing this in a dry, sunny place is a good idea.
- Air the pillow in an area with good air circulation or leave it outside on a warm day.
- Do not go to sleep with wet hair to reduce the chance of growing mold on your pillow.
Although you can extend the lifespan of your pillow by following these tips, they don’t last forever. Here are signs that you should replace your pillow.
- It doesn’t return back to a good shape after folding it in half and let it open back by itself.
- You can’t remove bad smell on your pillow
- You can’t remove mold on your pillow
Lastly, as you know sleep is as essential to survival as food and water, investing in bedding is always worth it, it can directly improve your overall health. If you want a good stuff, friendly to your health and environment, this bamboo cooling pillow is an ideal choice.